Welcome to St. Mary's Gig Club

St. Mary's Gig Club was formed from the Isles of Scilly Gig Rowing Association in 2008, with approximately 80 members and growing, this website will hopefully keep everyone up-to-date with news, stories, events, photos, fundraising, race results and more...

Slide Show

Friday 29 May 2009

PROFILE OF THE BONNET

I was built by Peters for the pilots of St. Martins, and named after an old lady of Scilly, supposed to have possessed ‘magic powers’ who was often seen before my time on the hill waving her bonnet to give the crews power in their arms.
I’ve had many a home, following my early years on St. Martins, I moved to Bryher and then Tresco before being sold to Newquay in the 1950s. Following a much needed restoration I enjoyed a fine time I can tell you, that rowing club certainly kept my planks well oiled. In 1962, whilst on holiday back in the Scillies it was decided that I could stay on a long term loan, which finally resulted in a permanent transfer in 1973 when I was exchanged for the Active. Since then I have worked hard on the Islands, and still like to show those young ones a thing or two when I get the chance, it’s not like I don’t have any experience… I’ll be 180 years old next year!

Taken from the World Championship Gig Brochure 2009

No comments: